Opposed-Piston Oil Engine Develops 3,275 B.H.P.

Posted By Tom Feltham on 09 May 2014

Posted in The Vintage Machinery Almanac

This article first appeared in Practical Engineering 1940 Vol1 No20. The published article is therefore correct as of 1940. The Publication highlights developments in Manufacturing and Engineering at the time.

Fullagar Design Vertical Stationary Oil Engine

One of the biggest vertical stationary oil engines ever built in this country has recently been completed by the English Electric Co. It has an output of 3,500 b.h.p. and is of Fullagar design. The engine is to be installed in the station of the Bermuda Electric Light, Power and Traction Co., Ltd. It is of unusual design and is built up with a bedplate in two parts. The overall length of the engine is 33ft. 6in. and the alternator which it drives increases the total length by about 14ft. Engine speed is  200 r.p.m. and the regular output of the unit in daily service will be 3,275 b.h.p.

Eight Cylinder Engine

It is an eight-cylinder engine of the opposed-piston type with a bore and stroke of 19in. and 22in. respectively. In each cylinder two fuel-injection valves are arranged horizontally and fuel is injected into the combustion chamber just before the two pistons reach their nearest point of approach. Upon ignition the gases expand and the two pistons then move away from one another. At the top of each cylinder are ports through which the gases are exhausted as the ports are uncovered by the upper piston, and at the same time, the lower piston uncovers ports in the lower part of the piston to admit scavenging air. The result is that the scavenging of the cylinder is carried out from bottom to top.

The fuel for each cylinder is supplied from a separate fuel-injection pump at a pressure of about 5,000 lb. per sq. in. The pumps are arranged in pairs and are driven from an enclosed camshaft, the drive for which is transmitted through worm gearing.