This article was originally published in Electrochemical and Metallurgical Industry Publication of March 1906. Information within this article is therefore correct as of 1906. The publication of this material aims to provide historical insight on the subject and its place in industry.
This lathe has been put on the market by the Springfield Machine Tool Co., Ohio, with the intention “of meeting the demand for an engine lathe which should be fitted for all around service in the machine shop and which should, without being highly specialized, be able to use tools of high speed steel to the full limit of their capacity.”
The headstock is driven by a three-step cone of 11, 9 ¼-, and 7 ½ inch diameters for 3 ¼ inch belt. The spindle may be driven direct or through either of two ratios of back gears of 3 to 1 and 9 ½ to 1 reduction respectively. This arrangement delivers sufficient power to the spindle to allow it to take care of the heaviest work within its range without impairing its utility for rapidly producing work of finer character. The spindle, which has a 15-16 inch hole through its entire length, runs in ring oiling bearings which may be replaced with new ones in case of accidental damage and still maintain its original hardness.
With suitable change gears in place any thread may be desirable to cut, this change of feeds will have a sufficient range to cover everything required from a heavy roughing chip to a fine finishing feed. The carriage, apron, compound rest, tailstock, and follower rests are all of standard design, very heavy and rigid and supported by a deep and well proportioned bed. The lathe will be furnished with English or metric lead screws if desired, or with the rapid change gear device, oil pan, purchaser's needs.
Image Credit: Internet Archive Book Images